Sunday, June 17, 2012

Week 2@The HistoryMakers: Skyla S. Hearn



I had a conversation last week about African American political figures who have and continue to serve in the Illinois General Assembly! I realize this may not be the most exciting topic to discuss but this is a topic I have not discussed in detail---before last week. So, I’m pretty psyched about it. I usually become engrossed in conversations about artists or educators. I stay as far away from political discussions as possible. From my observations, I’ve surmised the subject is too subjective and sensitive. Politics has an ugly face, which people don’t like to attach to the candidates of their choice, etc. The conversations become too personal and before I realize it people are offended. This conversation was different. We talked about the challenges, successes and unfortunately the falls of particular candidates. The person I spoke with didn’t know I had an “inside scoop” on some of the candidates mentioned. As the person went on about the candidates, I remembered their interviews and them sharing victories for the communities they served and challenging accounts while serving in office. 

In the interviews of Todd Stroger, Monique Davis and Jesse White, I was able to learn a great deal about local politics, how bills are formed and passed, and the challenges of being a minority and representative for minority groups. While I found their jobs interesting, I felt most touched by their connections with the communities they served, their drive, ambition and courageousness to stand behind the issues they strongly believed in. The before mentioned politicians are a part the series presented by The HistoryMakers entitled Pioneers in the Struggle: The History of African Americans in the Illinois General Assembly 1877-2001. 


Another highlight of the week was the field trip to the Carter G. Woodson Regional Library/Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature. The tour was led by archivist and librarian, Beverly Cook. Although I have visited the Woodson/Harsh Research Center on various occasions, the tour and lecture opened my eyes to aspects of the history of the facility and collection I previously had little to no knowledge of. The archives, in addition to the other departments in the two-story building, are well-built and house a sizable amount of materials from photographs to microfilm. The Carter G. Woodson Regional Library/Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature is my host repository where I will be spending the remaining nine months of the fellowship. While I enjoy engaging in the materials at The HistoryMakers I am anxiously waiting to scurry on over to the Woodson/Harsh Research Center! (Photo of George Cleveland Hall Branch, Chicago Public Library, photograph, n.d. Chicago Public Library, Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature. Librarian Vivian Harsh (MLS 1931) who oversaw the George Cleveland Hall Branch of the Chicago Public Library encouraged African American artists to gather and collaborate in this space.
Resources! Resources! Resources! We attended the second brown bag lecture with Dr. Reed, which covered the American Revolution and the Emergence of the "Cotton Kingdom", 1763-1861. Dr. Reed covers topics in our readings in addition to addressing contemporary issues that are closely related to the subject matter. He is a wealth of information and enjoys sharing his perspectives. His lectures are insightful. We also had our first seminar with Cecilia Salvatore, which covered Cataloguing and Library of Congress Subject Headings. In graduate school, cataloguing was an area I did not strongly embrace. After working on an exercise with Mrs. Salvatore, I wondered what I had been intimidated about! Her exercise and approach to cataloguing was extremely helpful. Dr. Reed and Mrs. Salvatore are valuable resources. I appreciate having access of their knowledge at my finger tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment