Monday, September 10, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 1 (September 4-September 7) @ Fisk University


While it has only been a week or two since my last blog post, it feels like an eternity.  I have completed the summer immersion training program and am now at Franklin Library, Fisk University.  To be honest, I never realized how much I love working in a library until I arrived here last Tuesday.  Fisk University is an amazing institution and I am so grateful that I have been chosen to spend the next nine months processing collections here

The week before last, I was moving from Chicago to Nashville (Middle Tennessee) which means I had to retrieve my car and my belongings from East Tennessee.  That took most of the week, so by the time Tuesday, September 4, rolled around, I had barely made a path through the boxes to the door so that I could leave for work.  Once I arrived at Franklin Library, I met with Dr. Jessie Carney Smith who gave me a brief orientation and introduced me to the staff of the library.  Everyone was so nice and welcoming, I almost immediately felt at home.  Mr. Jason Harrison, Dr. Smith’s assistant, gave me a tour of the library and the beautiful campus. 

By Monday afternoon I was able to begin looking through the collection I will be processing: William McKissack Papers.  

A portion of my project

McKissack & McKissack is the first African American architectural and engineering firm in the United States, so it is a great honor to have the opportunity to process the papers of this collection.  I spent the rest of the afternoon and the next day reviewing the collection in order to determine the best and most efficient means of processing it.  On Wednesday, I had to pause a few times for some conference calls, but I was able to look through about half of the collection which helped me to gain a better understanding of how to approach it.  On Thursday, I went through one box to refolder and removed staples and paperclips from the documents.  This helped to give me an idea of how long that portion of the processing will take.  This week I will be meeting with Ms. Mattie McHollin to determine a timeline to help keep me on track as I process this collection.    

as well as my hands (even the knuckles were black).
Gloves help to protect the collection...

I have already discovered a few interesting artifacts in this collection.  Not only are there a plethora of blueprints of the projects they completed across the South, but I also found a business card for Moses McKissack that is so old it only has a 5-digit telephone number (at least mid-twentieth century).  Many photographs are held in the collection, and one of them appears to be a medium-sized tintype of a lady assumed to be the matriarch of the family.  Those are my favorite finds from my brief review.  I look forward to finding more interesting items as I process the collection in more detail.

Until next week…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment