Sunday, September 9, 2012

Ardra Whitney: Week 12 @ The HistoryMakers

GPOY in front of Cloud Gate at Millennium Park  

Goodbye Chicago, Hello Charleston!
Monday, August 20th: I began creating EAD finding aids for the special collections I had been working on, starting with “An Evening with Andrew Young”. In addition, I reviewed my processing work on the special collection; removing staples and making any necessary revisions, “An Evening with Quincy Jones.” I also revised LOC subject headings from the EAD finding aid I created for Doll Artist, Zenobia Washington’s video oral history interview.

Tuesday, August 21st: I completed creating the EAD finding aid for the special collection, “An Evening with Andrew Young”—which might I add was very satisfying. (“Almost there!” I thought to myself). I continued reviewing my processing work on the special collection, “An Evening with Quincy Jones” and began creating the EAD finding aid for the collection. Later in the day, IMLS Fellows attended Skylah Hearn’s participation plan presentation on her host institution, The Woodson Regional Library (Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American Historyand Literature).  Director of Archives and Processing, Beverly Cook and Senior Archivist, Michael Flug joined us for Ms. Hearn’s presentation, which made for a nice treat. I enjoyed seeing Ms. Cook again; her tour of The Woodson Regional Library was one of my favorite field trips! As a follow up to her presentation on The Woodson Regional Library, Ms. Hearn e-mailed fellows links to a self-guided tour of the African-American Research Library and Cultural Center (AARLCC) in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and the meaning of the African adinkra symbols which are placed throughout the AARLCC building. I concluded the day by completing revisions to the EAD/EAC-CPF finding aid for Television News Reporter, Suzanne Malveaux’s video oral history interview.
Wednesday, August 22nd: Chaitra Powell was kind enough to organize a group tour of Chicago State University’s Archives and Special Collections, led by last year’s fellow, Aisha Haykal. Ms. Haykal is the archives’ current archivist. It was a pleasure learning about the Hon. R. Eugene Pincham and Alzata C. Pincham collections and getting the opportunity to see all that the university’s library and archives has to offer its students and patrons. I particularly liked viewing the rare first edition books authored by Frederick Douglass and Phillis Wheatly. Back at The HistoryMakers office, I finished reviewing the processing work I had done on the special collection, “An Evening with Quincy Jones” and completed a corresponding EAD finding aid. I also updated the EAD finding aid I created for Zenobia Washington’s video oral history interview, adding new and improved LOC subject headings.
Thursday, August 23rd: In the morning, IMLS Fellows met with HistoryMakers staff to discuss event details and responsibilities for the Back to School with the HistoryMakers program. I used to rest the day to: review my processing on the special collection, “An Evening With B.B. King”; create a folder list for the collection in Excel and start work on an accompanying EAD finding aid.
Friday, August 24th:  I finished reviewing my processing work on the special collection: “An Evening With B.B. King,” printed labels for the collection’s acid-free boxes and completed an EAD finding aid for the collection. Additionally, I completed revisions to EAD finding aids for Zenobia Washington and Russ Mitchell’s video oral history interviews and produced a EAD/EAC-CPF finding aid for "the Queen of Creole Cuisine," Chef and Restaurateur, Leah “Dookie” Chase’s video oral history interview. I liked evaluating Chase’s interview and admired her because she understood the importance of living, enjoying and appreciating life. In her interview she conveyed what a lovely and sassy spirit she was—it was great fun to watch.
Ardra Whitney (Counting It Down: Summer Immersion Program Complete!)
IMLS Fellow
Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture

No comments:

Post a Comment