Monday, February 4, 2013

Amanda J. Carter: Week 22 (January 26 – February 1) @ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers
Last week, I continued processing the National Baptist Sanitarium and Bathhouse project.  There are many staple-bound receipts so the processing is taking a little more time than originally anticipated.  My expectation is to complete it by the end of this week.  I have eight full boxes for this collection so far, but there are about three or four more boxes to finish processing before I can move on to the smaller projects of the McKissack brothers.  Overall, this collection is coming along quite well.   Since the College Hill project provides a general outline for the remaining projects, most of the processing time is spent cleaning, removing staples, and arranging the papers in order within each folder.      
Challenges:
The most tedious aspect may be the repetitive chronological filing of the receipts.  Each folder seems to contain a multitude of receipts that need to be arranged chronologically and then filed with the receipts that I have already arranged.  Many times, I find that the dates overlap so instead of being able to place the newly ordered receipts at the end or beginning of those already filed I have to merge them with the files.  It is a fairly simple but time-consuming process.  However, the result of having an easily accessible collection for researchers will be well worth the effort.      
Black History Month 2013, At the Crossroads of Freedom and Equality: The Emancipation Proclamation and the March on Washington
I finished the powerpoint display I was creating for Fisk University’s Franklin Library.  I must admit that I had a lot of fun creating it.  Using the theme listed above, I at first thought I may create some kind of timeline of these historic events but it turned into a type of visual research guide because I included a host of digital collections focusing on the African American experience.  Here are a few of the collections I mentioned:

After reviewing my display with Ms. Mattie McHollin, my collection supervisor, upon her suggestion I edited the presentation to include more images and less text.  I had quoted certain excerpts from the Emancipation Proclamation, “I Have a Dream” speech, and President Obama’s recent Inaugural Address.  I reduced the amount of text while trying to leave enough of these moving speeches to inspire the students.  I also added a little background leading up to the Emancipation Proclamation and the Civil Rights Movements and I removed some of the resources I had included.  The last third of the display is a calendar of events for celebrations of Black History Month across Nashville.  There are many events, but the most fascinating may very well be the National Archives’ “Discovering the Civil War” exhibit which will be hosted here in Nashville at the Tennessee State Museum.  Part of this exhibit is the brief display of the original (yes, the original) Emancipation Proclamation over a few days in mid-February.  It is very exciting to have these precious documents come to our city!   



Until next time…                                                                                                                  

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment