Monday, February 11, 2013

Amanda J. Carter: Week 23 (February 2 – February 8) @ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers
Last week, I nearly completed processing the National Baptist Sanitarium and Bathhouse project.  It unexpectedly appears that this section may rival the size of the College Hill project.  While College Hill holds more variety of subseries, the Bathhouse project has more numerous receipts.  The plan to complete this section by the end of the week was stalled yet again, but not by very much.  I have no doubt I will complete this section within this week and begin the smaller projects. 

Black History Month 2013, At the Crossroads of Freedom and Equality: The Emancipation Proclamation and the March on Washington

The main reason that the Bathhouse project was slightly stalled was due to the setup of the Black History Month presentation on the first floor of Franklin Library.  The presentation itself is complete so I posted it on Slideshare:  At the Crossroads of Freedom and Equality.

The slides loop on a fourteen minute interval and play all day from the time I set it up at 8am until I leave at 5pm.  There is currently no sound with it because we are playing a CD of the Fisk Jubilee Singers, but I will be working on adding excerpts of speeches and music that will also loop.  Upon the excellent suggestion of Mr. Michael Powell, I am going to experiment with creating a playlist that will randomly shuffle the music and speeches so that each time you watch this fourteen minute presentation, it will have a different affect due to the speeches and music playing at different times in the presentation.  Previously, I had only ever added sound to certain slides that correspond to certain aspects of the presentation.  However, I think this is a fabulous idea that is sure to add depth and even more meaning to the presentation that I have enjoyed creating.    

Challenges
The main challenge right now is setting up the powerpoint presentation each morning.  While it is quite simple to pull out the stand with the new, large monitor and set it up for the display, the computer does not have a general login.  Since I do not have login information either, I must rely on one of the other employees to log in under their name so that I can begin the slideshow.  At the end of last week, there was some communication with the IT department so I believe a login for this computer is being resolved.  In the meantime, I hesitate each morning to disturb someone else while they are working so that they can log in for me.  Fortunately, everyone here is so generous with their time that they do not seem to mind.  I am so grateful to be working with such kind and generous people. 

 
Until next time…                                                                                                                  
Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment