Monday, May 7, 2012

Weeks 32-34 at the Alabama Department Of Archives and History

Hello and greetings from Montgomery!

I hope all is well with everyone and we enter the last month of our fellowships. The past two weeks have been quite busy for me as I work on my final projects and workshop for the fellowship. I am still digitizing the last book of the Peppler Collection, and I have finished processing the Datcher collection. In the last week I had a wonderful opportunity to travel to Philadelphia to accession a collection from the daughter ( Mrs. Essie Mixon) of an Alabama Midwife. Mrs. Mixon was a wonderful host, and her collection is in excellent condition! It mostly contains artifacts, and will be a wonderful supplement to the midwifery documents in the Datcher Family collection. Mrs. Mixon and the Datcher family lived in neighboring counties in Alabama, but the stories their collections tell about midwives and their importance within rural communities provides a wonderful element to the picture of rural life in Alabama. Well, that is all I have for now. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Until next week!

Cheylon Woods
Alabama Department of Archives and History

No comments:

Post a Comment