Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 7 (October 15 – October 19)@ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers

This week I have been working on the College Hill project series of the McKissack Papers.  It is a very large section that includes invoices, receipts, payroll information, correspondence, and specifications.  I was able to get through a few boxes, but I still have a ways to go.  I am hoping to finish this before Christmas break.  However, my original schedule gives me some extra time to work on it in January, so I am not too concerned.  Hopefully, there will not be many snags.
Challenges
The challenge within this section is in determining the best way to organize the account files (receipts and invoices).  There are many, many accounts.  I am debating on whether or not I should make a folder for each business or make a folder for each type of business (i.e. concrete, lumber, etc.).  At this point I may move forward with folders for each business since there seems to be an adequate amount of information for each one. 
Interesting Finds   
So far in this series, all I have seen are basic business records.  There is some correspondence with the Federal Housing Authority that may be helpful to someone interested in researching the housing development process of the 1950s.   

Society of Tennessee Archivists Conference           

Our state archival society, Society of Tennessee Archivists, had its annual meeting in Knoxville, Tennessee, from October 15 through October 17.  I attended the main sessions on October 16 and thoroughly enjoyed it.   I learned about the difficulties in preserving and digitizing old film, issues with copyrighted photographs found in a collection, and the history of the Tennessee Historical Society.  Since I can never pass up a good tour, I opted for the downtown Knoxville Civil War tour instead of the student panel which I had participated in last year.  The tour was as fascinating as Knoxville’s unique and historic combination of Confederate and Union leanings.   It was really great to see everyone that I had seen last year.  Conferences, especially regional ones, are excellent sources of networking and keeping in contact with peers.  It was worth the drive to East Tennessee.

Until next week…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment