Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 8 (October 22 – October 26)@ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers

This week I continued to work on the College Hill project series of the McKissack Papers.  I am currently arranging the various accounts associated with the construction of College Hill such as the lumber, concrete, and plumbing businesses that were used for the construction.  I am arranging this section alphabetically according to the name of the company and then chronologically within the folders.  There are many, many staples that need removing so this portion of the subseries is somewhat slow although I continue to make progress.

Challenges

Now that I have determined how I will arrange the account files, the challenge here is to continue at a steady pace while picking through the plethora of boxes that contain the information on these accounts.  Another minor challenge is determining what to name the folder that will inevitably contain some information on accounts that were only charged once or twice.  Should this information still get its own folder although there may be one sheet of paper or should it go in a separate file with others?  If they should go in the same folder, is “General” or “Miscellaneous” an appropriate title for that folder even though both labels do not quite describe the contents?  I have decided to wait until I finish this section to determine how much of this type of information is contained within the files at which point I should have a better understanding of how to make the information more accessible.

Until next week…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment