Monday, December 10, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 13-14 (November 24 – December 7) @ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers

I have finished processing the College Hill subseries slightly ahead of schedule.  The result is seventeen boxes of materials pertaining to the College Hill Apartments and Homes built for African Americans in Nashville, Tennessee, in the mid-twentieth century. Included in this subseries are materials such as correspondence, receipts, invoices, payroll information, and Federal Housing Authority records. Three of the boxes are closed due to their inclusion of personal identification information (i.e. social security numbers).  All of the records are dated 1949-1951. 

I then began processing the Office Records series before moving on to the other projects so that I will have a location to place all general and miscellaneous office files that I am bound to find in the other project files.  At this stage in the organization, I am arranging the subseries and folders.  So far there are about five boxes of materials including payroll records, general office receipts, licensing, and advertising information.  One of those boxes will remain closed due to the inclusion of personal information.  There appear to be about seven more boxes to process for this series, but it is difficult to determine how long each box will take since it depends heavily on the type and clarity of information found within them.  My goal is to finish this series in the first few weeks of January but it may actually be closer to the end of January before it is completed since I only have two weeks to work on this in December.  The school is closed the last two weeks of the month, so I will spend time at the end of the month evaluating oral history interviews for The HistoryMakers.

Challenges and Changes: 
Now that the largest series is completed, the challenge is to maintain consistency throughout the rest of the collection while also using the most accurate terms to describe the entirety of the section being described.  One example of this is how I was originally using “Accounts” as a subseries for the College Hill projects section.  It was more or less a placeholder until I could determine a more accurate and appropriate term.  As I began using “Accounts” for the Office Records series, a better term finally occurred to me:  “Vendors”.  After a quick search of Dictionary.com, I found “vendor” to be defined as “a person or agency that sells.”  This definition is much more accurate than the more generally defined “accounts,” so I am confident that this term is more descriptive and thus increases accessibility of the records to the researchers.

Another challenge is in separating the Office Records series.  I am removing all information that specifies a project because I will place that material in the project series.  However, there are records that do not specify a project but do specify a place where a project might be assumed.  It appears that the firm would open a temporary office location at each project site or at least in the town where the project is located.  For instance, I have come across many records out of Memphis, TN.  McKissack and McKissack did have a few projects in Memphis, so I am having difficulty in determining if the addresses found on the receipts are the locations of the projects or an office location near one of the projects.  If each address goes to a specific project, then all of that information can be placed in the subseries pertaining to that project.  However, if there was a general office in Memphis that handled these projects, then I would need to consider a subseries in Office Records that includes these satellite office locations.  I think that I will not be able to get a full picture of this until I am nearly completed with this series, so I am collecting records that pertain to Memphis in a separate folder that I will go back through when I finish this series so that I might better determine where to place the materials within this collection.  

Quarterly Survey time
Week 14 saw the submittal of our quarterly (more accurately, half-time) survey report as well as our monthly conference call with The HistoryMakers.  While all of the fellows seem to be gaining our own unique experiences, we all remain on track with our projects.  There also seems to be improvement in the recording of the oral history interview evaluations.  From this point forward, we will be using a version of Survey Monkey to conduct our evaluations.  By all outward appearances, it seems to be much more streamlined and easy to manage.  Next week, I will use this survey for my next interviews.  I look forward to it improving our time in processing the oral histories.

Until next time…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment