Monday, December 3, 2012

Skyla S. Hearn: Week 9@Woodson/Harsh

Highs & Lows: I'm sure you realize from reading my posts that I am an optimist. Therefore, I will begin with the highs of the week---> the highest high of my week was when I received the invitation to attend the Vivian G. Harsh Society Gala to honor Dr. Timuel Black. Dr. Black is a 93 year young pillar of the African American community. Other guests in attendance including Darlene Clark-Hine, Dr. Christopher Reed, Sammie Dortch and Larry Kenon. It was a star studded event for those in awe of movers and shakers in the history, archives and civil rights movement communities. Thanks to my work
colleague and friend, Lucinda, we were able to 
meet, greet, dine and partake in the festivities
offered at the Dr. Timuel Black Gala. Dr. Black's Papers online finding aid can be found at: http://www.chipublib.org/cplbooksmovies/cplarchive/archivalcoll/black.php. Pictured are members of the Harsh Archival Processing Project and the Vivian G. Harsh Society.



Is there such a thing as an archival processing room fairy whose job is to sprinkle magical dust that multiplies photographs? Please, please tell me there isn't. After this week, I am inclined to believe the unbelievable. Just when I thought I had all the photographs viewed and prepared for further identification sessions, two boxes of photos appeared from what seemed thin air. I felt grief stricken. Through the anguish, I labeled envelopes, arranged and described as many of the newly appeared photographs as possible then set aside the remaining for a photo id session with Mrs. McArthur.* I'll be sure not to make her a cup!

No comments:

Post a Comment