Saturday, January 19, 2013

Skyla Hearn: Phenomenal Public Programs

Special Edition: Chicago Metro History Fair

Back in June we were told that we needed to prepare a presentation, which included prospective public programs, outreach, archival processing assignments and various other activities and requirements as per the expectations of the responsibilities of the fellowship.

When I discussed public programs with Julieanna, Michael and Beverly the Chicago Metro History Fair was often highlighted as a program that I should become involved in. I took note to further inquire about contacts, information about the program and what role I could contribute to the program.

As the responsibilities, activities and events of the fellowship took off, hours turned into months, one month became three and I found myself immersed in the Wyatt Photograph Collection. Some months back, during a break from the work week, I attended the Teaching for Social Justice Symposium. During this event I met Theresa ****, who was there repping (representing) some wonderful projects constructed by 2012 Chicago Metro History Fair (CMHF) student participants. She and I struck up a lovely conversation conversation about CMHF, benefits of volunteering and working with the youth. How great, I thought, to talk with someone whose work was so closely connected to the archives and who connected the youth with research practices and knowledge of utilizing the library and archives for their personal research.

Some days later I emailed Theresa to thank her for a nice convo (conversation) and to exchange other pleasantries. To my surprise she responded with asking me to be a Judge for the CMHF. I proudly accepted. A month or so later Beverly, one of my immediate supervisors suggested that I hold a weekly workshops in the Woodson Library, one of the designated CMHF research sites, for students needing assistance with their research. So, of course, Beverly forwarded Lisa ***'s email, which requested CMHF Coach Volunteers (not workshop lecturers) to assist students at the Woodson Library/Harsh Research Center. Silly me, I thought I would be volunteering to facilitate a workshop or two. I was wrong.

I have never been, very rarely been, this happy to be so wrong. What has happened as a result of the misunderstanding is that I have attended a session on "How to Coach CMHF Students" at the HWLC, which included tours and three sets of librarian lead workshops on conducting research, including in Special Collections at the HWLC and on the Chicago Public Library (CPL) website complete with assisting a small group of students. How rewarding and refreshing on an early Saturday morning (8am-noon...without coffee!!!).

I was impressed with all the students. They all represented an aspect of brightness in the dull, mundane, rat race of everyday tribulations i.e. work, local news, horrible traffic, rude people in line at the grocery store, etc. Maybe I'm rambling but you understand the moment of reaching enlightenment not having realized the rut of daily endeavors? Those students sparked a light, which will keep me encouraged over the next two months to assist them with locating resources for their projects.

A 5th grader's researching a youth organization that existed during the 1930s and is wondering the impact that organization would have on today's violence currently plaguing Chicago. Another student, 9th grade, is looking into the LGBT (he didn't specify LGBTQ) neighborhood of Boy's Town, and how it became to be and another student, 8th grade, is researching the architectural structures of McDonald's buildings here in Chicago. Some students were accompanied by parents, others by teachers and some were alone. They were all driven, attentive and full of spirit. I'm looking forward to coaching then judging research projects in April.

This is a wonderful example of an opportunity that began with a friendly smile and a 'Hello'. Sometimes the best plan is one that doesn't exist and materializes organically. Epic Score! for an additional Public Program! Thanks Theresa & Lisa & Beverly for providing me with this amazing opportunity to be involved in such a fulfilling project.

No comments:

Post a Comment