Sunday, June 2, 2013

Amanda J. Carter: Week 39 (May 27 – June 2) @ Fisk University

McKissack & McKissack Architectural and Engineering Firm Collection
Finally, the McKissack & McKissack Collection is completed!  Last weekend I finished the scope and content notes on the finding aid and created the McKissack & McKissack Architects collection on HistoryPin.  During this final week I was able to add the blueprints to the finding aid, label all of the boxes and folders, and create the CD to send to the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC).  I am excited for it to become available to researchers.  In case you missed it in a previous blog, here is a little information about my collection (taken from the scope and contents note):

This collection includes documentation of the McKissack & McKissack Architectural and Engineering Firm during the early to mid-nineteenth century with most of the documents dated in the 1940s and 1950s.  The large majority of this collection relates to the various construction projects the McKissacks designed or constructed during this time.  Some of the projects within the collection are extensively documented and can include blueprints, correspondence, payroll, and other office records.  However, most of the projects are minimally documented and do not include all aspects of the project.  Also included in this collection are personal family photographs and newspaper clippings, community involvement records, and stockholder information. 

Please feel free to review my previous blog entries for cool finds or more information about specific series in the collection.  It is an amazing portrayal of African American life in the south during the early to mid-twentieth century. 

Future Prospects
I am awaiting word from two interviews I had recently.  I received word at the end of last week that I should hear about the possibility of another interview within the next week or two.  There is also another offer on the table, but I hesitate to give too many details because the job has not officially been posted, yet.  All in all, I do seem to have a few options and possibilities so I feel confident about my future. 

Good-bye
Well, this is it: the final blog on the final day of the final week of this year-long fellowship.  What a roller coaster of experiences this has been.  I appreciate the opportunity so I must thank the HistoryMakers and Franklin Library at Fisk University.  I also want to show my appreciation to the amazing fellows with whom I have had the pleasure of working over the last year: Alex, Skyla, Chaitra, Ardra, and Cynthia.  I expect that we will all keep in touch long after this fellowship is a distant memory.

Have a wonderful summer!   
 
Farewell,
Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment