Sunday, July 1, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 4 (June 25-29, 2012) @ the HistoryMakers


Chicago Skyline at Night
This week I have been playing “catch up” with my evaluations.  Unfortunately, I did not get as far ahead as I had hoped.  The good news is that I am no further behind.  Third-grade teacher turned yoga instructor Rebecca Love’s Eastern-centric beliefs were fascinating even if her explanations were a bit extraordinary.  Entrepreneur Delories Ricks-Wallace’s interview was rich with names and places about her family history and her life.  While I enjoyed evaluating her interview, trying to record the pertinent details in a timely manner was a challenge.  I am now in the process of evaluating Bonita Gooch’s interview.  She is a businesswoman in Wichita, Kansas, who owns and runs an African American newspaper called The Community Voice.  By the end of the week, I had also received feedback on my previous evaluations, so I now have two fully completed EAD and EAC-CPF finding aids.  Yay!  I have made two more finding aids for further review and have one left to finish on Monday.  It feels good to be able to see the whole process complete.  I am still working on increasing my speed, but I am afraid that I am getting a little “burned-out” listening and typing, listening and typing, so next week I will be alternating my schedule to include sorting my special collection boxes for my An Evening With collections of Colin Powell, Della Reese, and Richard Parsons.

After another discussion with Dr. Jessie Smith, the dean of Franklin Library at Fisk University,   I found out that the collection I will be processing for the university is the William McKissack papers.  He owned and ran McKissack & McKissack Architects, the oldest African American architectural firm in the United States, until his wife took over as CEO in 1975.  McKissack’s wife, Leatrice McKissack, and daughter, Cheryl McKissack Felder, are both HistoryMakers and I will be evaluating Felder as one of my assigned interviews.  How serendipitous!  Dr. Smith and I also discussed other aspects of my upcoming presentation on July 9, so I have now created a slideshow for it.  Now if I can just get in touch with Meharry Medical College’s special collections, I will soon be ready to present.  They called Friday while I was out touring the University of Chicago Special Collections Research Center so I will have to call back on Monday.

UC Special Collections Gallery
Speaking of touring the University of Chicago Special Collections Research Center, I was extremely impressed!  They have five archivists (almost unheard of in many academic libraries), a beautiful new research center and gallery area, and an expedient tiered processing system that allows for ALL of the collections to be accessible, even those that have not yet been fully processed.  They even have many digital collections that can be accessed online.  We were running low on time so we were unable to peak into the Mansueto Library which uses an automated system to pull books and collections from their storage underneath the library.  They are truly innovative!

Archival Studies
We had our usual Tuesday and Wednesday lectures with Dr. Cecilia Salvatore, our archival sciences instructor, and Dr. Christopher Reed, our historian.  Dr. Salvatore’s archival instruction was helpful although I must admit that it can be a little confusing to discuss archives in the traditional sense while we are working in one that has such a modern and innovative twist.  I understand Dr. Salvatore is preparing us for our host institutions so that is well and good.  However, my age-old gripe about our literature being old is still a pet peeve that I have about archival science in general.  I know there is something to be said for understanding how procedures and theories evolved to be what they are now, but that will not stop me from being slightly annoyed that we read and discuss 20+ year-old articles that influenced a process that is now somewhat different.  Yes, I am talking about documentation strategy.  Okay, okay, I know it has its merits and that I may be exaggerating somewhat.  Believe me when I say that I realize there is something to be learned from everything and so I will continue to read and learn and grow even though it is not always fun and exciting.  

 I really enjoyed that Dr. Reed brought in some of his family’s pension request records from the Civil War.  It really seems to solidify my understanding of the past when I can see preliminary source materials such as these pension records.  That is why I love archives.  I have read about the Civil War from a variety of perspectives now and I must admit that I always learn something new.  I will never forget learning in my women’s history class that women would dress in uniforms and hide their gender so that they could also fight in the Civil War (and Revolutionary War, at that).  Intriguing! 

I guess that about covers this week.  Next week we have Independence Day off so I am looking forward to a mid-week break and possibly some fireworks!

Navy Pier from the Museum Campus


Until next week…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University 
2012-2013 The HistoryMakers IMLS Fellow

No comments:

Post a Comment