Saturday, July 7, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 5 (July 2-6, 2012) @ the HistoryMakers


4th of July Fireworks at Navy Pier


As July begins, week five ends.  It was an interesting week somewhat offset by the fact that Independence Day fell on Wednesday which split up the work week.  I spent much of the week preparing my participation plan presentation which will include information on the following topics:

After sending my presentation to Dr. Jessie Carney Smith and Ms. Christyne Douglas, I made some revisions and then gave a preliminary presentation to Julieanna Richardson.  After my preliminary presentation, I found that while I had adequately revised my presentation, there was still much information that I needed to add. One of the missing pieces of information is what I will be doing for a public programming event that helps promote African American archives.  Since presenting information at a conference does not fill my public programming requirement, I got nervous.  This whole “it’s up to me” thing is a lot of pressure.  Where do I begin?  I need a topic, I need an audience, I need a venue.  Fortunately, I had been brainstorming with another fellow and had come up with an idea that might be a little far-fetched, but it sounded fun and it involved the architecture built by the McKissacks.  Julieanna approved of the idea so now I have to get approval from Dr. Smith and Special Collections Librarian Beth Howse.  Once it is approved, I will tell you more about it but I am much calmer about having to organize this public programming now that I have some idea of an event that could be fun and educational.  Working on this presentation has really helped to encourage and excite me about processing the William McKissack Papers at Franklin Library, Fisk University.  While I am not educated in architecture, I have admired it since I first stepped foot in New Orleans, so I am thrilled to be able to process a collection related to the first African American architectural firm in the United States.  I am doubly thrilled that many of their buildings still stand in Nashville.  You can bet I will be finding as many as I can!  I am also excited to have the opportunity to work at Fisk University.  Not only is it a very prestigious HBCU (Historically Black College and University), but the library is very involved in and around the campus so I will be able to participate in events around campus as well as library and archival conferences.  I am looking forward to learning so much from Dr. Smith and Beth Howse.  In the meantime, I now only need to add an origin story of Fisk and Meharry’s archives and a more detailed schedule of my participation at Fisk.  Needless to say, this appears to be where I spent the majority of my time this week. 

While I thought I would finally be diving into the file sorting needed for my three “An Evening With” special collection projects, Colin Powell, Della Reese, and Richard Parsons, I remained distracted with my participation plan presentation.  I will have to begin setting aside times to sort these collections next week.  In other news, I finally finished the Bonita Gooch interview evaluation and so I was able to move on to Joe Rogers, whose evaluation I had hoped to finish on Friday.  I am sure I will be able to tie up the loose ends by Monday morning, though, so that I can continue to move forward.  We were all asked to momentarily cease our progress so that we could complete EAD (Encoded Archival Description) and EAC-CPF (Encoded Archival Context-Corporate bodies, Persons, and Families) finding aids for all of the evaluations we have completed. Therefore, by Friday I had a total of nine completed EAD/EAC-CPF finding aids.  Yay!  It feels good to be nearly caught up. 

We did also have our Tuesday Archival Sciences lecture with Dr. Cecilia Salvatore.  We discussed digital preservation which, in my opinion, can sometimes be an oxymoron.  The key for digital preservation is not so much to be able to preserve it in its original form since technology frequently forces changes such as upgrades in software or platforms that can make older versions unusable.  The key to digital preservation is to ensure ACCESS, which is the main purpose for preservation of records.  I am a traditionalist in the sense that I like my records to remain original to a fault, but I am beginning to understand the danger in hanging on to that ideal when it is detrimental to access.  Access is the main purpose of preservation.  Access is the main purpose of archives in general.  What other reason have we to save all of these records?  However, it is imperative that future researchers understand that these digital records are not always preserved in the original format so that they can better understand the context of the material.  Digital preservation is essential for born-digital records and will continue to be a major topic as technology evolves so quickly.

We had to wait until Friday to have our African American history lecture with Dr. Christopher Reed.  This week we spoke about how Reconstruction and its promises decayed into the Jim Crow era.  The chapters that I read all mention the South quite frequently, of course, so I am often faced with the history of my home state of Mississippi and I am somewhat haunted by the knowledge that I had at least a few ancestors there during that time period.  What haunts me more is the realization that the terrorizing treatment forced upon African Americans (all over the U.S. but especially) in the South lasted for nearly a century.  I remember growing up in a town with way too many school houses due to previous generations of segregation.  We even had two city pools, but that segregation went on during my own lifetime.  I never realized why there were no black people at the city pool I would occasionally go to as a child until I attended an elementary school next to a city pool I had never seen before.  I do not recall if I asked someone or if the realization just hit me like a ton of bricks, but I knew at that point that there were different areas for us even if signs did not designate them.  I can report with relief that the pools were shared by the time I was a teenager but that was nearly into the 21st century.  I am glad that these ridiculous ideals are slowly fading away but I am sad that it has taken 100 years.  I hope that as we continue to struggle globally with racism across all cultures, we embrace the lessons we can learn from our history so that no one has to live through eras of racial terrorization ever again.  Is that wishful thinking?  Maybe, since it seems we so rarely learn from our history, but I will never give up hope that it is possible.    

4th of July Fireworks at Navy Pier


Until next week… 

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
2012-2013 The HistoryMakers IMLS Fellow

No comments:

Post a Comment