Sunday, July 8, 2012

Skyla S. Hearn: Week 5@The HistoryMakers

Happy, Happy Bearthday to Ardra Whitney, IMLS Fellow, Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture!!!! 

The last five weeks have been intense, some days more than others, with learning a new work environment, balancing all that I'm learning about the inanimate objects such as the archives, special collections, materials discussed in the seminars and lectures, procedures, practices in addition to applying best methods and the animate creatures such as humans---as I approach completing my work and communicating with my colleagues. Every day that I enter the office, I have a plan that includes completing the tasks on my to-do list and balancing time for executing the untouched tasks that float from list to list. During the course of the week, usually at the end of the work day, I'm visited by or I visit with a colleague (or two) to compare notes, share a joke...share in some form of distraction to pull away from the intensity of the work week and meticulous (detailed) assignments, which brings about a little joy and "personable-ness" to my position as an employee, a worker and contributor of knowledge. I value the developing relationships with my colleagues as much as the relationships with my interviews and special collections. This synergy between the inanimate and animate help to fulfill my purpose within this current stage of my life.

The other day I received an envelope in the mail with the words "Do Not Bend" written on both sides. I was SO sure that it was my Masters degree. Immediately I had mixed feelings--it's just a piece of paper--but a piece of paper I worked really hard for--on a crowded street no one knows, cares or can identify my level of education, etc.--but none the less, I was excited. When I opened the envelope, my feelings of excitement dissipated slightly at the realization that the paper was 'just' my Special Collections certificate and not my Master of Science in Library and Information Science degree. I quickly 'checked' myself and regained my sense of pride. In addition to other studies, I'd managed to focus on Special Collections (development, make-up of, preservation, care and practices) and to carve a niche for myself as an archivist interested and able to represent multiple forms of Special Collections.  In addition to the thirty interviews I am responsible for evaluating, I am also responsible for three Special Collections from the An Evening With... series, one of the projects of The HistoryMakers. The three collections I will be processing are: An Evening with Dionne Warwick, An Evening with Eartha Kitt and An Evening with Valerie Simpson. All three of these women are staples from my childhood so imagine the thrill and silent screaming fit I had (and continue to have) knowing that I will review their interviews, process their collections and learn about their challenges and triumphs. (Dionne Warwick twice over!) 

There has hardly been dull moments over the last five weeks whether shared in office or during lectures. Last week during Dr. Reed's African American History Lesson we discussed the Reconstruction Era, which drummed up a lively conversation between us and Dr. Reed about revolts and uprisings in addition to other related topics. Although we may not all agree, which we usually don't, I look forward to the varied opinions shared during these lectures. I enjoy everyone's ability to openly share their insight and perspectives on the readings. The lectures are truly an experience for growth. 

During Dr. Salvatore's seminar on Reformatting and Digitization, I felt an uneasy calmness as I realized I may be one of the few that are not as concerned about the possible obsolescence of current digital formats. Since I live by "the plan", my idea is to put a plan into place that specifies methods, practices, procedures, resources, and tools to be utilized that are considered as current 'best practice' standards. In the future, update "the plan" or manual as need be to align your organization in preparation for digitization and digital preservation. Obsolescence and finances should not dictate the preparedness of the organization to move into the future. I don't know what the exact answer is but I'm always down to put out an idea. 

As I move into Week 6, my plan is to better structure my time to include room for the floating to-do tasks, process a portion of my Special Collections, and to edit and finalize my Participation Plan presentation. Wish me luck!  


1 comment: