Sunday, July 22, 2012

Skyla S. Hearn: Week Seven at The HistoryMakers

Bobby Broom
Performance at the Jazz Showcase on Printer's Row
Skylah.Sensahrae2012
I am of the profound belief that nothing is for its own sake. For example, art is not for art's sake. I also like to practice exercises to prove various theories to myself such as at times I feel I can hear better with my eyes closed so I sit and listen to live music with my eyes closed. Saturday night I attended the CD release party for Bobby Broom at the Jazz Showcase and enjoyed the show quite a lot---with opened eyes. At times I was mesmerized by distractions. The piano bench sat inanimate, as it is, but especially since the band didn't have a piano player. The last time I remember being at the Jazz Showcase the bench was illuminated along with the piano by a captivating pianist, ChrisRob, who sat on it and played along with the other members of the Maurice Brown Quintet. As I mentioned, I actively engage in participating in activities with my eyes closed but what of the activities that rely on ones eyes being opened and accompanied by ones mind being open and active as well. For example, when a researcher is scouring for information in the archives they rely on the Archivist's expertise of the plethora of knowledge within the research institution. But what if the expertise of the Archivist doesn't extend enough or expose enough of the knowledge held within the collections to include knowledge of all the well-known persons nestled within the collections of their colleagues, adversaries, etc.? What if the Archivists are unyielding to exercise objectivity? What if they just simply aren't aware? Is that even possible...hmmm....


Professor Goldsby discussing Mapping the Stacks
Readings for Professor Goldsby's Lecture
Professor Goldsby, Project Director of the Mapping the Stacks: A Guide to Black Chicago's Hidden Archives Initiative, exclaimed during her lecture on Wednesday "Oh, the histories we could tell..." when we discussed all the unprocessed African Diaspora or Africanesque (as she referred to them) collections that are sitting idly waiting to be touched by well-trained and 'loving' fingers---the latter romantic spill was my own exaggeration of the vocation although on many levels I feel we love what we do therefore we love the content we organize, preserve and provide public access to. For example, if during an expedition to uncover an unsolicited find I discover that a well known author, artist, etc. who is nestled within the papers of another well known author, artist, etc. is buried---as in the action applied to something that once bred life--a body, ideology, entity of life. Buried in the collection of a colleague or a loosely related or relative subject matter, awaiting the opportunity of happenstance.  The diversification of archives by archivists with varied backgrounds who represent various ethnicities and cultures collectively provide access to a world of information previously unknown and unfortunately unfamiliar to many. Fortunately, the amount of collections awaiting the magic moment of happenstance will become incorporated into the world of known, celebrated and familiar information. Yes, yes Professor Goldsby, there ARE stories we will aid in the telling of! And yes, I was in awe, sitting in the first row and extremely attentive with chin in palm the entire time she sat and discussed Mapping the Stacks! What brilliance! 

In regular news, I was told in so many words that I was long-winded during the African American lecture on The Harlem Renaissance and The Great Depression with Dr. Reed. I couldn't help myself not that I would if I could--never been able to contain myself when Marcus Garvey is a part of the discussion. The latter part of the name of The HistoryMakers Fellowship, Mentoring, Training and Placement Institute... has spoken volumes to me in that the guest lecturers have been mentors and provided training as a part of the institute. It keeps getting better and I'm sure it'll get better yet! 

In exciting office-related news, Chaitra Powell, a fellow Fellow and I processed three An Evening With... collections for Diahann Carroll, Dionne Warwick and Valerie Simpson (In Honor of Nick Ashford). The change of pace is duly noted and well appreciated in that we are able to partner up and work together to hash out questions and to make suggestions about the process for developing the records management system for The HistoryMakers Special Collection archive. Although we are partnered, we engage in opportunities for group discussions about our separate processes. So wonderful to be engaged in the learning, teaching, and growing taking place within the fellowship of my fellow Fellows.  




No comments:

Post a Comment