Sunday, August 19, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 10-11 (August 06-Aug 17, 2012) @ the HistoryMakers

The last few weeks have been particularly busy.  During week 10, Sunday was the only day we were not working or traveling so I spent most of the day recuperating from the trip to San Diego, CA, to attend the Society of American Archivists annual conference.  The conference was a great, but somewhat exhausting, experience.  Thus, I do hope you understand why I did not post a blog detailing the experience.  I will try to add more about the conference at a later date.  I took many photographs and notes of the presentations.

However, week 11 also reduced my personal time to one day: Saturday.  As I write this blog on this lovely Sunday afternoon, I do so from the office where I have been finalizing a template for the EAD-encoded finding aids for our special collections.  I was also able to complete a revision of an evaluation I completed a few weeks ago.  Hopefully, this means that when I return to work tomorrow, Cynthia and I will be able to concentrate wholly on our final two collections: An Evening With Russell Simmons and A Conversation with Henry Louis Gates.  Julieanna has requested that we have everything completed by Wednesday so that she has time to review it before we leave.  I hope this will be the case, although we will have some other meetings including two fellows' presentations and a tour of Chicago State University's archives.  Otherwise, I am fully confident we will have them completed by the end of our final week here.

If I weren't so exhausted from our schedule and stressed about planning my move back to Nashville, I would write more.  My hope is that by the time I have figured out how to get myself and my cat from Chicago to Nashville, my car and belongings from two different places in East Tennessee to my apartment in Nashville (Middle Tennessee), and tie up all the loose ends such as switching utilities from and to my name, and budgeting for rental cars, U-hauls, and possibly movers, then I will be able to blog about my overall experience in this summer immersion program.  Although at this point, my main goal is to finish all aspects of the projects we were originally assigned.

Until next time...

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
2012-2013 The HistoryMakers IMLS Fellow

No comments:

Post a Comment