Thursday, August 16, 2012

Electric Limbo: Alex Champion's Week 10 Blog Attempt


This blog comes late partly because Microsoft Word 2007 and Dropbox colluded to rob me of my precious prose. On Sunday night I transferred my two page blog about the Society of American Archivists conference in San Diego to Dropbox only to see on Monday that it no longer was there. “Hmm…” I thought, “perhaps the transfer didn’t complete after all.” I opened Word and selected the “IMLSblogWk10” only so read that the document file path no longer existed. Having frequently attempted to open Dropbox documents from Word before this error was not new. This time however I had correctly checked Dropbox first and THEN Word. I finally checked the original file’s location and—Huzzah!—located the shortcut! But, wait, oh no, the file path isn’t working…

My file is in the limbo of the hellish PC and the Dropbox in the clouds with litters of unbaptized babies—or so my 21st Century Catholic upbringing compels me to believe.

Since I didn’t close Windows without saving, I can’t auto recover. Since I don’t back up my computer every three hours, I can’t pull it from my external hard drive. Simple searches for the exact title of the blog in Dropbox and the PC yield nothing. Nothing in my recycling bin, nothing in my temporary files, nothing, nothing, nothing. Frequent readers of my IMLS blog (there must be some, no?) will understand that I pour my heart and soul into these. They are an expression of my deepest feelings through the universal sieve, winnowing the coarse granules of life from the digestible, nourishing bits that give us reasons to live. Except for week nine’s blog—I had a serious case of "writer’s blog"© and phoned it in. You wouldn’t expect me to repeat the same anguish and heart for another post, would you?

Instead here are some bullet points:

  • ·         San Diego has a lovely downtown and its homeless population is plentiful but non-aggressive. Very much representative of California as a whole I suppose.
  • ·         I appreciate every opportunity The HistoryMakers provides. On our first night we dined with previous THM fellows and a fortunate sequence of events landed me next to Kelvin White of the University of Oklahoma library school and IMLS administrator Kevin Cherry. Kelvin explained the depths of the LIS Ph.D. programs and Kevin, a sweet, sweet white man from North Carolina who shares my love of plaid shoes, bowties, and urged me to enter the Ph.D. academic-verse. There is a lot of colorful nuance to this story, most of which concerns his delightful sense of humor and a our rapport, and it’s obvious that Cherry wants more blacks in the information business. In the world of archives connections are currency and right now I feel rich.
  • ·         Every conference I attend increases my ambition by 50%. This immediately drops by half of that, approximately 1/8th of the totality of my ambition. Doing the math that means my ambition is now 304%--just over four times-- where it was in March 2010 before I attended the Midwest Archives Conference. I feel like I could conquer the entry-level archives world! The fellows will try and piece together a panel or poster presentation as our experiences merit and hopefully SAA and the regional archival associations will see a lot more of me in the future!
  •  ·         Sessions were a mixed bag. I mostly attended the technology minded or K-12 outreach panels. I see digital curation as an important (obviously!) development in archives and K-12 education is important for my placement at the Maryland State Archives.

    Below are some pictures of my adventures.
Planes fly dangerously close to the cityscape, threatening the masts of nearby barques

Packers lose a pre-season game to the Chargers, whose stadium is not noticeable from my hotel room. Petco Stadium, home of the Padres, disappoints. I approve of the Chargers victory.

Panel discussion on "living archives" composed primarily of THM fellows

The USS Midway

A model of a contemporary prop plane engine

The captain's bunk on the Star of India at the Maritime Museum

A non-contemporary sign designating the modern chamber pot

Porthole view of a Soviet sub from the bathroom. I will not say where I am standing relative to the the toilet

A mock-up of the HMS Surprise, as used in "Master and Commander"

The Star of India from the Surprise's bow



Sleeping quarters in the Surprise

A B-39 Soviet submarine

Planes fly dangerously close to the skyline

Nate Sowry is co-winner of the Gerald Hamm Scholarship. A UW-Madison student, Nate is an exceptional representation of the school and its values. 'Nuff said. The last Hamm Scholarship winner was also from Madison but did not bother to show up to accept the award. Odd, since SAA last year was in Chicago--just a four hour bus ride--and Nate traveled half0way across the country...

No comments:

Post a Comment