Saturday, November 3, 2012

Regular Occupations: Alex's Weeks 6-7


I’ll be brief for this go-around. Most of my time at the Maryland State Archives has revolved around census data stripping and preliminary research and verification of a research collection.

The basic activity that all Legacy of Slavery in Maryland research archivists undergo is data stripping. We examine censuses for the Eastern Shore between 1830 and 1880 and enter the information into one of over a dozen LOSIM data tables. Although the 1880 censuses have more content, the activity itself is not especially stimulating unless my imagination runs away with me. “Hmm,” my mind mutters with interest, “one parent is described as mulatto and the other is black yet—unlike other times this census taker encountered this combination—the children are also described as mulatto. The parents must be a very light mulatto or black.” I imagine the scandals that must have happened when a 45 year old woman with three children is married to a man just four years older than her eldest son, take pride in the black male with a profession other than “Laborer” and the female with a job other than “Keeping House” or “Domestic Servant,” and ridicule obvious errors or contemporary writing conventions; some favorite examples include misspelling “cousin,” free use of terms like “Idiotic,” and calling stepchildren “in law[s]”.

My predecessor Krystal did a similar activity with the Maryland Colonization Society records in addition to the census. The MCS was also her source for case studies and biographies. Although she wrote a total of sixty-one case studies, I have yet to write a single one. Thankfully, a new computer seems to have allayed tech support’s reluctance to do too much work on a computer destined for the recycling bin. Unlike Krystal I do not have a specific project beyond the general work that many of my peers engage in; it seems I need to advocate for myself and find one. In the meantime I was pointed to the Schweninger Collection, an artificial collection of digitized research material pertaining to legal petitions involving slaves. Petitions range from slaves in the middle of a probate dispute up to slaves petitioning for freedom. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment