Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Amanda J. Carter: Week 11-12 (November 12 – November 23) @ Fisk University

William McKissack Papers

I am nearly finished processing the College Hill subseries of the McKissack Papers.   All I have left is to go back through the seventeen boxes of materials and ensure they are in a proper order, extract dates for each folder, and type up that section of the finding aid.  I foresee finishing this by the end of this week or, at most, next week.  Next, I will move on the processing the Office Records series so that I will have a location to place all general and miscellaneous office files that I am bound to find in the other project files.   
 
Oral History Interview Evaluations
This year, all of the Fellows have been requested to continue working on oral history interview evaluations that we were assigned during the summer immersion program.  Originally, the amount of time requested of me to work on this project greatly impeded my ability to finish the assigned collection at Fisk.  After some discussion, Dr. Smith and Julieanna agreed that I would work on the evaluations during the time that Fisk is closed beyond typical holiday schedules.  Fisk was closed the whole week for Thanksgiving, so I worked on the evaluations for three and a half of those days.  In that time, I was able to complete evaluations for fashion designer Precious Lashley and dentist Henry Cook.  Mrs. Lashley’s interview was somewhat difficult to follow due to medical and memory issues but there was a fascinating moment about some of her 1980 predictions for fashion at the turn of the century.  Dr. Cook’s interview was filled with stories of how he became the first person in his family and community to graduate high school and college.   

Until next time…

Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment