Monday, April 2, 2012

March 26th - 30th, 2012 at Fisk University Franklin Library

Hello all! What a busy week! I managed to complete the correspondence of the 1940s, sort through the 1950s, and begin processing the correspondence of the 1950s. The correspondence lead up to 1956; Smith passed away September 9, 1956. I found a form for Smith's entry in "Who's Who in American Education," which they formally invited him to submit. The form provided a lot more information about Smith, professionally and personally. The personal information is extremely helpful because his collection was missing that. It also explains how the Rosenwald Fund built over 5,000 schools and 10,000 libraries in the south. I have set goals for the amount of work to complete next week (like always) including completing the 1950s correspondence. That is a major section of the Smith papers (section II of the entire collection).

Also this week, I continued to work on my materials for the National Rosenwald School conference this coming June where I will present on a panel discussion concerning HBCU archives as well as a poster session documenting the S.L. Smith collection at Fisk University. I am also focusing on getting my materials together for SAA in August. Lastly, I am constantly working to improve/enhance my grant writing skills as this is a crucial skills to have for those who desire to be involved in academia and/or archival administration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment