Monday, May 20, 2013

Amanda J. Carter: Week 37 (May 13 – May 19) @ Fisk University

McKissack & McKissack Architectural and Engineering Firm Collection

Last week I was able to finish processing all of the boxes in the collection.  I was even able to insert the two boxes of materials into the existing arrangement and merge all of the boxes together which resulted in a total of 58 boxes: 46 typical “Hollinger” boxes, four boxes that will remain closed due to the inclusion of personal information, four oversized (tall) boxes, two oversized (flat) boxes, and two boxes specially made to contain the blueprints.  However, the collection is not yet complete.  I still need to finish the historical note on the company, write the biographical note on Calvin McKissack (Moses McKissack’s biography is completed), and then verify and/or revise where necessary the scope and content notes for each series.  I also need to print and place the box and folder labels and create two CDs of the finding aid: one to be stored here at Franklin Library and the other to be sent to the Library of Congress National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections (NUCMC).  Finally, I will be posting a few choice images of items from the collection to HistoryPin. 

I am very excited for this collection to be coming together just in time to end the fellowship.  I know that there were some concerns early-on that the size of this collection might prohibit completion within the given nine months, but I have dedicated myself to working on this collection to ensure that it is open and accessible to researchers by the time that I leave this position.  I am thrilled beyond measure not only because it appears that I am meeting my goal, but also because this collection contains vital information on the black community in the South, and especially in Nashville, during the mid-twentieth century.      

Interesting Finds
The last interesting find in this collection is a hand-drawn image on onionskin paper of the residence of Mr. Moses McKissack.  This item was found rolled up at the bottom of a box of old and fragile blueprints.  Mr. Michael Powell was showing me how he was going to use a humidifying chamber to unroll the remaining fragile blueprints when we came across Mr. McKissack's residence at the very bottom of the box.  It was not as fragile as the rest so I used weights to flatten it as opposed to using the humidifying chamber.  I find it fascinating that this seemingly fragile drawing on onionskin paper has proven more durable than the actual blueprints under which it was hidden.   

Future Prospects


Over the last few months, I have been applying to library and/or archives positions.  I initially began applying all over the country, but soon decided that I wanted to stay near Nashville, Tennessee, since my family has decided to move to the area.  I have had a few call-backs lately, but last week I also had two in-person interviews.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed in-person interviews, since I have not had one in a while.  They seem to be going the way of the rotary phone, especially when interviewing for positions outside of my immediate vicinity.  The interviews restored some of my hope in finding a job once this fellowship is complete, so I am now more excited than ever to find a position with a group of lovely people who enjoy spreading information and working with primary sources as much as I do.  I have only two more weeks left, but everything seems to be coming together quite naturally.         

Until next time,
Amanda J. Carter
Franklin Library, Fisk University
IMLS HistoryMakers Fellow 2012-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment