Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Skyla S. Hearn: Archives of an Archival Fellow Pt.II

As-Salaam Alaikum  (Peace be unto you!)
There have been some shining moments in my life this past week, which I will get to but I wanted to share with you a tad about today's experience before I 'talk' your 'ear' off about last week. Sometimes I feel golden. Yesterday I was surprised with  an offer of two tickets to Saviors Day. Considering my line of work, one that regards every human interaction with the elders as a "once in a lifetime opportunity" I was more than elated to accept the tickets, reschedule plans and make our (my daughter and my) way to the UIC Pavillion by 2pm. I'll spare you the details of the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan's address, which was filled with advice and information we could all learn from regardless of spiritual backgrounds and political affiliations, but I will tell you that when he walked to the stage with thousands of people, including minime and me, standing, applauding and cheering with adoration tears streamed down my cheeks... Louis Farrakhan is more than a spiritual leader, educator, and activist. He's also a grandfather, father, husband and overall honorable man. I was beyond moved to be in his presence. And would be ever elated to one day maintain his archival collection!
 
 
Hon. Elijah Muhammad, Hon. Minister Louis Farrakhan and the Master W. Fard Muhammad
The 2013 Saviours' Day convention marks the 83rd year of the Nation of Islam's existence in North America. Each year, to commemorate the birth of its founder Master W. Fard Muhammad (February 26, 1877), thousands of members and supporters of the Nation of Islam from around the world make the journey to attend the annual convention during the last week of February for a weekend of fellowship, networking, information dissemination and spiritual renewal. Also during Saviours' Day, some of the best academic minds, entertainers and activists come together for strategizing, organizing and mobilization. The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan's Saviours' Day messages are always timely as he marvelously deals with current events, spiritual realities, prophecies and solutions to the problems plaguing the Black community in particular and humanity in general. The Saviours' Day 2013 Keynote Address is scheduled to be delivered in Chicago, IL., on Sunday, February 24. (This information was obtained from the following website: http://www.noi.org/sd2013/about.shtml)
 
Father Phleger and Reverend Willie T. Barrow were also in attendance and seated close by the Minister as he spoke. When Minister Farrakhan referred to Mother Reverend Barrow my heart did a back flip. I whispered to my daughter that Rev. Barrow aka "The Little Warrior" was best friends with Reverend Addie Wyatt and that they "came up" in the struggle together. How wonderful, I thought that she was in attendance for Saviors Day, revered by the Minister and seated on the stage for all to see. I realize that the time may have passed to witness some of The Greats as they were in their  heyday but I will happily take any opportunity I'm offered to experience them as they are today.
Reverend Willie T. Barrow "The Little Warrior"

Father Michael Phleger
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Last week was triumphant. I delivered all the image files for "Faith in the Struggle: Rev. Addie Wyatt's Fight for Labor, Civil Rights and Women's Rights"to the vendor, finalized the amount of text panels that I am responsible for writing and began the description of the Wyatt Photograph Collection. Check, check and check. Modern technology is a wonderous and powerful tool when partnered with the proper accompaniments such as updated computers, peripherals, updated software, etc. If all the tools are not aligned then the inevitability of not completing deadlines is imminent so  allow for the predictable unpredictables. That's right. Despite my ability to be the "Don of the Techies", around these parts, I can not man perservered through the anguish of the slowly running and outdated operating system of my heavily relied upon computer but by week's end all the images were delivered to the vendor and the Harsh Archival Processing Team Members in Chicago were able to communicate with our colleague in Corpus Christi, Texas about the text panels and images.
 
 
Inshallah My Good People....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment