Sunday, March 4, 2012

Avery Research Center Updates

It has been awhile since I have written, mainly because I have been working very hard to finish processing the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) collection. I am happy to say that the collection has been arranged, described, and the finding aid is completed. Yay!!! I am now working on a personal collection of a Miss. Lois A. Simms. 

We are still having trouble converting some EAD/XML records into PDF. I talked to some of the people in the College of Charleston’s Special Collections department and they sometimes have the same issue. However, no one is sure why it occurs. Thus, we are left to go through the code line by line to see if there is something that is wrong. This can be quite interesting and tedious. As of today, I have gone through that XML at least 10 times, but I still do not see what is wrong with it. One day I will be glad to report that this is fixed, hopefully sooner than later. Another project that I have been working on is creating MARC records for the collections. I am still tinkering and playing with the MARCedit software to get the record to come out correctly.

In order to celebrate the theme of Black History this year, which is African-American Women, I am working on an exhibit that highlights the contribution of Charleston, South Carolina, and Southern women to American History. I am using material from the archival and library collection to bring attention to the work that was done by these individuals.

Read more here.

Aaisha Haykal
Avery Research Center

No comments:

Post a Comment