Monday, March 5, 2012

Weeks Twenty-Five and Twenty-Six at the Maryland State Archives

It’s been a busy past couple of weeks. I gave a couple of career day presentations at local schools. I was happy to learn that at all of the sessions, at least some of the students knew what archives were! The elementary school students were a bit more excited than the high school students but I felt that both sets came away knowing more about archives than they did before my visit. Last week, I was out of the office most of the time, attending conferences. I attended a symposium, African American Life and Labor in the White House Neighborhood, organized by the White House Historical Association. The symposium was great mix of expertise from academic historians and preservationists to family historians and descendants of blacks from the White House area.  

Later in the week, I attended a three-day, IMLS-sponsored conference called WebWise. In its twelfth year, the conference brings together librarians, archivists, museum professionals, programmers, and others to discuss new directions for sharing information digitally and online. The keynote addresses by LeVar Burton, David Isay of StoryCorps, and John Palfrey of the Digital Public Library of America were particular highlights. I also reconnected with some old friends and made new ones, including many archivists that I know from Twitter. Of particular interest was a presentation on ViewShare, an interface developed by the Library of Congress to help archivists and curators provide access to digital resources. I highly recommend attending future WebWise conferences.

Krystal

No comments:

Post a Comment