Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Week 28 at The Mayme A. Clayton Library & Museum

Last week marked the final training session for the new OPAC. There were about ten volunteers who attended the training ranging in age from 21-65.  The document I created to help the volunteers through the cataloging process was well received overall, but I felt there were some improvements that could have been made. The first thing I would change on the document is the font size, a larger type (greater than 12 point) allows the volunteers to easily read the text.  Another feature of the document I would change is using circles to highlight important parts of the screen instead of arrows; arrows have a tendency to get lost in the text. 

Last week, I began creating the finding aid for the Khalid Kwame Collection.  This jazz collection consists of about 10,000 machine readable artifacts (e.g. CDs, Tapes,and Albums), 7,000 pieces of textual documents and a few pieces of AV equipment.  While working on the finding aid I wrote a biography on the Kwame by pulling information about his life from business cards, wills and donor forms.  While writing his biography, I began to understand the importance of keeping and up to date file on all donors so that information about them is readily available.  

Alyss Hardin
IMLS Fellow,  M.L.I.S. 
The Mayme A. Clayton Library & Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment