Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 7 at the Alabama Department of Archives and History

Hello and greetings from Montgomery!

This past week has been very busy for me! I started a new collection that was amassed by a former research archivist here at the Alabama Department of Archives and History, and this has been one of the most challenging collections I have processed. When I first looked through the collection I was very confused because there was no "story." This collection consisted of random newspaper articles, souvenir books, maps, programs, personal papers, and magazine articles that did not appear to be related to each other at all. This collection made me think about all the ways I could arrange the collection, and forced me to look critically at every item in the collection. After 2 days of thought I finally saw that, while the materials did not show a cohesive story, they did represent certain topics like local and state news, cultural articles, social articles, international and national politics, and writings on the Civil Rights Era and/or the Civil Rights Movement.

In addition to processing this very interesting collection I also worked with the monthly community outreach program, which was a discussion about Black gospel quartets and a performance from the Four Eagles gospel quartet out of Birmingham, Alabama. This was a very interesting program and very well attended! I also was interviewed for an online radio show that will air in December! I will be posting links to both the video footage of the public program and the radio show once I have then.

Until Next week!

Cheylon Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment