Thursday, October 27, 2011

Week Seven at Avery


Hello Everyone, 

I have to say that reading everyone’s posts makes me jealous and happy for all of us. The work that we are doing is great, is worthwhile, and makes an impact. So give yourself a pat on the back!

This past week and half I have been working on the Order of the Eastern Star collection and finishing up my colleagues work because her time here ran out (she is actually moving to Chicago to start a new job). Therefore, I helped her double check a few facts, labeled the folders, and editing the finding aid. The collection is actually an important collection as it deals with the Craft and Crum Families (the descendants and extended family of William and Ellen Craft) and the collection is highly used as a promotional tool, so it is good that it is finally put together in an orderly fashion.

Robert Chase, who is Avery’s Public Historian, and I have been meeting and corresponding via e-mail with a scholar who has done oral histories (mostly video I think) in Charleston. She wants to make her work more accessible to the broader public, thus, I suggested that she think about making an online collection of her work. However, to expand upon this and to also implement one of my public programming ideas I thought about making a community oral history/digital storytelling project. The exact details of this has not been planned out, but hopefully in the coming months and by the first of the year I can go ahead and put it into place! 

Read more at my blog

Aaisha

No comments:

Post a Comment